BLOGS > OCTOBER 3, 2018
BY KLAUDIA JANEK, IB TEACHER AND LIBRARIAN
As an IB teacher and librarian, my focus is on Approaches to Teaching and Learning, internal and external assessments, and delving deeply into the curriculum — and those are the things I'll be focusing on when I co-present Follett's IB webinar. Check out what we'll be covering!
Most of my days in a high school library are spent working with students and teachers on research skills and, depending on the time of year, on either Personal Project or Extended Essay. I teach website evaluation, beginning and advanced research database skills, academic honesty, MLA citation skills, essay writing skills, etc. These are all very academically focused lessons. As a librarian, I also love to focus on creating a culture of reading. Included in these efforts is a six-month “Battle of the Book” event and book-themed contests. Then this year, I decided to take a risk (yay IB Learner Profile) and support the skill of reading and literacy in a new (to me) way.
As an IB teacher and librarian, my focus is on Approaches to Teaching and Learning, internal and external assessments, and delving deeply into the curriculum — and those are the things I'll be focusing on when I co-present Follett's IB webinar on June 9 at 2pm CDT.
While preparing my part of the presentation, it was hard not to go off in a hundred different directions. But one of my tangents is on literacy and areas I can improve my own practice. In a library there are many different ways to approach skill building and instilling a love of reading within our students. We just can’t fit it all into one webinar!
I was inspired by the Future Ready Librarian Facebook group to try something new this summer – allow students to check out as many books as they want for some relaxing and fun summer reading. I’ve already been allowing students to check out books for Extended Essay, but that was limited to DP students. Why not let current 9th and 10th graders check out books for fun? I think it will support the library mission by building literacy skills and will help prevent “summer slide” with our MYP students. I hope that it will also promote choice, because students can choose whatever they want. As a school, we do not have any required reading for the summer. My collection development focuses on selecting across a wide variety of genres. I read reviews to get the newest and the best recommendations, and I also stay alert to what is trending on social media and then bring it into our school library. Then, I let students choose what looks good to them. So, we will see how this experiment goes.
In the meantime, we will focus on collaboration with teachers and how we can help improve research skills across the IB continuum. As our year wraps up and we can plan ahead for new book purchases for the upcoming school year, I hope you will join us for some ideas.
Click to watch the video - Collaboration to Support Planning & Skills across the PYP, MYP, DP and CP
Here are some of the things we'll cover:

Klaudia Janek
IB Teacher, Librarian
International Academy
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
MAME board member, Extended Essay Coordinator, IB Librarian, IB Workshop Leader, IB Online PD Facilitator, IB Workshop Developer, ALA / AASL / YALSA member. Visit my library portal page. Follow me on Twitter @kjanek.
October 2, 2026
Sometimes, a community exceeds every expectation.When Follett Content began planning its 2026 book sales, the goal was ambitious: Raise $15,000 to support United Way of Greater McHenry County’s Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library Program. By the end of the fundraising effort, that...
Read more
Bilingual STEAM Books Your Youngest Learners Will Love
October 2, 2026
National STEAM Day Book GiveawayIn celebration of National STEAM Day, we're excited to partner with Charlesbridge on a special STEAMWORKS giveaway for educators and public librarians. Ten lucky winners will receive a collection of STEAMWORKS picture and board books to...
Read more
Stock Your Shelves with the Best Fall Books for Classrooms and Libraries
October 1, 2026
Enter the FlutterBee Fall Book Giveaway for a chance to win one of three seasonal book bundles curated for young readers – 15 titles selected to generate excitement and increase engagement this fall.
Read more
PreK-2: A Foundational Skills Checklist for Teachers and Administrators
September 30, 2026
The skills that decide whether a student reads on grade level in third grade get built long before third grade. Here’s what to look for across PreK, Kindergarten, and Grades 1-2 – and what it takes to build the classroom...
Read more
Building a Multilingual School Library Collection in NYC
September 24, 2026
New York City Public Schools bring together a wide range of languages, cultures, and experiences thanks to the diverse communities they serve. A multilingual collection reflects that diversity, gives students opportunities to learn in the languages they know best, and...
Read more
Search, Curate, and Order Smarter: Titlewave 101 for Public Libraries
September 4, 2026
Grid ordering, EDI, curated lists, and street date delivery – how public libraries put the free Titlewave platform to work every week.
Read more