BLOGS  >  MARCH 10, 2020

What Message Will You Leave Your Students With This Year?

BY JILLIAN HEISE


Thinking about #classroombookaday choices for May has me thinking about the end of the school year and the message I want to leave with students.

As a former eighth grade teacher, I was always very intentional about that last day read-aloud I wanted to share with students. What were those final words I wanted my students to carry with them that would inspire them for the years ahead? What was the final theme that would remind them to be their true selves as they navigated the treacherous social hierarchies of high school? No pressure! Ha!

I often used a book like Only One You. Over the years I’ve read enough other picture books to start a Goodreads shelf (that now has 53 titles!) for “grad send-off” books in the hopes that it wasn’t only eighth grade when these types of books could be useful.

Whether it’s sending PreK littles to the next grade, fifth graders off to middle school, high school grads off to college, or just sending kids to the next grade knowing I won’t be their teacher anymore, I think there is always a picture book that has the message I’d want those little (or not so little) humans to carry with them: Be the best you that you can be. Do what you know to be right and what feels true to your heart. Make a difference, make an impact, make a life that helps make others’ lives better. Don’t lose sight of who you are and the dreams you have.

That idea of being true to yourself may be different for every student I have ever had the privilege to teach. But I most want to remind students, in these last weeks of the school year, through the books I choose to read aloud, that “being you” is a good place to start. With all of that in mind, I selected these 20 picture books to recommend this month because they all have a sense of “you do you” to them, supporting various identities and encouraging kids to be themselves and to go out and do good in the world.

Because picture books can do that. They can help kids see themselves and see others and see ways to be. That is their true power. I’m reminded that “Literature does more than change people’s minds; it changes people’s hearts. And people with changed hearts are people who can move the world.” (Rasinski & Padak, 1990, as cited in Cai, 2002, p. 19)

At the end of the year, I want to leave my students with hearts that are open to all and to love themselves as they go out to make their mark on the world. And I end with the hope that of all of those daily picture books we’ve shared through #classroombookaday, at least one will stay with them in their hearts reminding them that who they are is enough.

See Full List on Titlewave


Jillian Heise is a Grade K-5 Library Media Teacher in southeastern Wisconsin. She previously taught Grades 7-8 ELA in the Milwaukee area for 11 years and is board certified. Jillian is a passionate advocate for student choice in reading and the power of shared stories through #classroombookaday picture book read-alouds. She brings her literacy expertise and knowledge of books to her role as Chair of the WSRA Children’s Literature Committee. You can find Jillian talking books and education at Heise Reads & Recommends and on Twitter at @heisereads.

Read all Jillian Heise #ClassroomBookADay articles on Follett Learning.

Watch webinar recording presented by Jillian Heise, Building Community: #ClassroomBookADay Read Alouds.

Recent Blog Entries

Why Students Stop Reading for Pleasure and What Schools Can Do About It

October 7, 2026

Most children enter school eager to explore stories, characters, and new ideas through books. Yet as students get older, many begin reading less frequently for enjoyment.According to data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), the percentage of 13-year-olds...
Read more

Community Keeps the Pages Turning with Record-Breaking Book Sale, Raising More Than $30,000 for Local Literacy

October 2, 2026

Sometimes, a community exceeds every expectation.When Follett Content began planning its 2026 book sales, the goal was ambitious: Raise $15,000 to support United Way of Greater McHenry County’s Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library Program. By the end of the fundraising effort, that...
Read more

Bilingual STEAM Books Your Youngest Learners Will Love

October 2, 2026

National STEAM Day Book GiveawayIn celebration of National STEAM Day, we're excited to partner with Charlesbridge on a special STEAMWORKS giveaway for educators and public librarians. Ten lucky winners will receive a collection of STEAMWORKS picture and board books to...
Read more

Stock Your Shelves with the Best Fall Books for Classrooms and Libraries

October 1, 2026

Enter the FlutterBee Fall Book Giveaway for a chance to win one of three seasonal book bundles curated for young readers – 15 titles selected to generate excitement and increase engagement this fall.
Read more

PreK-2: A Foundational Skills Checklist for Teachers and Administrators

September 30, 2026

The skills that decide whether a student reads on grade level in third grade get built long before third grade. Here’s what to look for across PreK, Kindergarten, and Grades 1-2 – and what it takes to build the classroom...
Read more

Building a Multilingual School Library Collection in NYC

September 24, 2026

New York City Public Schools bring together a wide range of languages, cultures, and experiences thanks to the diverse communities they serve. A multilingual collection reflects that diversity, gives students opportunities to learn in the languages they know best, and...
Read more

More Blog Entries